Sunday, June 20, 2010

My First Shots With The Leica M9

Well, here they are...some of my first shots taken with my new M9. I gotta say, after using my Nikon for so many years, shooting with the Leica has a bit of a learning curve. It is almost like starting over again...you have to consciously think about your f-stop, shutter speed, and focusing. Nothing is automatic, so your true knowledge of photography must be applied when taking photos with the Leica.

Do I like it better? Well, YES!! I have TOTAL control now of my photographs. If they are out of focus, it is my fault...no longer can I blame the camera. With the Nikon, I would just compose, and shoot...but the camera would not always get it right in terms of what I wanted, and that was frustrating at times...with the Leica, I can focus where I want to focus, and I can set my f-stop for shallow or deep depth of field. Of course, I could always have had set my Nikon to complete manual, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of having all those bells and whistles that come with the Nikon. The Leica is just plain fun to shoot...I am really liking it, and starting to get the hang of it. I still can't focus very quickly, but I am getting better.

Anyway, below are five photos I took this morning of my two daughters...Kayla and Kelly. Kayla is my older daughter, and Kelly is my younger. I had to be quick with my focus because Kelly would not sit still for very long...it was a good way to practice my focusing skills.

I have only two lenses so far (which I traded most of my Nikon equipment for). I have the Leica 18mm Super Elmar and the Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton. I am loving both lenses, and these two lenses will be the ones I carry to Italy with me next month. All the shots below are taken with the 50mm at f2.0...they all had to be cropped as I am still getting used to composing with the finder (you don't look through the lens with the Leica). The frame lines are actually very accurate, but I still needed to crop for better compositions....I will get better at that as well. They were also treated in Adobe Light Room and a bit of Photoshop work...I have developed a certain style with my photos, and wanted to keep the same style with the Leica files.

The files from the Leica are outstanding...even after cropping, I still had huge files which can be printed large...it is an 18MP camera which has 6 million more pixels than my old D300 had...

Kayla...Leica M9, Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton at f2.0

Kelly...Leica M9, Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton at f2.0

Kayla and Kelly...Leica M9, Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton at f2.0

Kelly...Leica M9, Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton at f2.0

Kayla and Kelly...Leica M9, Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 Nokton at f2.0

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Scotty,

First of all congrats on your new toy.

Secondly, thanks for dropping by my page and for your generous comments.

..and lastly, im an avid follower of your photoblog for sometime now.

Dave here,

Catherine said...

Love these pics - especially like the one on Kelly second from the bottom. I can't wait to meet her!

Carolyn Ford said...

It looks to me that you are doing just fine with your new Leica! What beautiful little girls you have and you have captured some true "keepers" for your memories of these days! Awesome shots!

Ma.links said...

Beautiful cuties.

Anonymous said...

Hi scotty,

congratulate on your new toy, you have a very expensive M9. only suit to used expensive lens, have money buy summilux. great combi.