Wednesday, November 10, 2010

People Photos With The Leica

One of my early complaints about switching over to the Leica M9 from my Nikon was the ability to capture good people shots without a zoom lens. It took me a ton of practice. I am only armed with my 50mm lens, and that makes it more of a challenge to catch people. At first, I was slow to focus, and by the time I had my photo composed and focused, the subjects would move away or the moment was lost. I lost countless photos because of this. I am getting better, though. I can now focus pretty quickly and accurately. This shot is an example...I saw the one light in the corner, and the two kids standing next to the door. I knew it would make for a good shot, so I walked slowly towards the door, and the kids didn't move. I had already set my camera to a fairly high aperture to capture good depth of field, so all I had to do was compose, focus, and shoot. It took mere seconds, and I got the shot...right after, the kids moved inside. When I first got this camera, I would have missed it or it would have been out of focus. When you nail a shot like this with the Leica, it is a good feeling...an easy thing for the Nikon to do though...point and shoot with the Nikon, and you get the shot, but for some reason, it is just not as fun...

7 comments:

Kcalpesh said...

Hi Scotty, you are in India now? Nice expressive capture....

cloudbusting2 said...

Very photographic family. Good to hear how you worked to get the shot.

Country Girl said...

Didn't see the children until after reading the backstory and scrolling down. Incredible, Scott!

Scotty Graham said...

sorry, Kcalpesh, I was in India last week...I am back in Jakarta now.

Eve said...

Adorable - and the lighting is perfect!

Joanne said...

Great! Love all the detail...

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get the shot now.

Paz