Tuesday, November 08, 2011

The Good Ole Clown Fish

The Clown Fish is probably the most popular fish to photograph underwater. It is addictive. When I find a small anemone with clownfish, I will sit there for sometimes up to a half hour trying to get the perfect shot...they are quick little guys, and dart in and out and above and behind the anemone, so I set challenges for myself...can I get three in one frame, can I get them framed against the underside of the anemone, can I get them in a turn, etc...it is really fun, and it is really difficult to get a bad shot of a clown fish...they are all so cute...its kinda like taking a photo of a really pretty girl....tough to get a bad shot...

So below, are a couple of my challenges met...I was able to get three in one shot, but didn't like that photo as well as these...the top photo was my challenge to get two fish against the underside of the anemone...the bottom photo was my attempt to get a fish in a turn and against the underside of the anemone...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are beautiful!
Scotty, I'm going to Hawaii in the spring... my first trip into a blue, blue water area, so of course, I want to make sure I bring the right camera items. At the moment, I have nothing for going under water. Can you recommend anything in particular (do you use a protective case, or an underwater camera... what about light)?

Scotty Graham said...

Eve, that is a tough question to answer...I use a Nkon D70 in a housing, and have two Inon Z-240 strobes. Underwater stuff is really expensive...you can buy much cheaper housings for a point and shoot, but for underwater, you really need lights or the colors will not be there...having said that, if you take photos in shallow water, you can still get some color with natural light...but go any deeper than 10 feet or so, and you will lose colors...good luck, and have a great trip to Hawaii!!

Dot said...

I just love looking at your photos...but especially the underwater ones...beautiful and amazing just doesn't do them justice. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

very purty!

Nathalie said...

Your answer to Eve is enlightening. Underwater photography is expensive. But wow, do you know how to make the most of it. Those little clownfish are a beauty!