Thursday, October 08, 2009

Textures and a Tutorial On How To Use Them

I have been posting some photos that I have processed using textures, and last week I promised I would tell you where I got most of the textures that I use and a tutorial on how to use them. Basically, textures are just what they sound like...they are photos of walls and other objects that have some kind of texture to them. I have collected quite a few of my own textures in the last few years and always have my eye out for interesting textures to photograph so that I can use them later in my artwork. However, it is not always easy to find good textures, and many of the textures I have just don't blend really well with my photographs.

A few years ago, I found Trey Ratcliff's site, "Stuck in Customs" ... I can't remember how I found his site, but I stumbled on it one day looking at HDR photographs. Trey has been called "The King of HDR", and if you visit his site, you will see why...his HDR photography will blow your mind. He also has a nice tutorial on HDR worth reading, and it is where I got my start with HDR photography...later, he introduced a tutorial on using textures and then offered his own textures for sale. They were pricey, and I debated whether to purchase them or not. In the end, I decided to make the plunge, and I bought them. With the 150 textures, he had a nice long tutorial explaining how he uses the textures. I now use them all the time, and applied the techniques he shows on his tutorial to my own photographs. I gotta say, it was worth every penny...and it has brought my photography to another level and will turn your photographs into works of art rather than just another photograph...

If you are interested in the same textures and the tutorial, Click here to visit Stuck In Customs.

*Note: Trey offered to give me 15% of the sales that are generated from my blog. Since I am not here to make money (I have a full time job that does that), and this is not a commercial site, I will NOT profit from this. I will donate 100% of the proceeds to JIS Peduli which is presently helping the children that suffered in the recent earth quakes in Sumatra. Therefore, if you buy Trey's textures, 15% will go to a good cause...

This is another photo that I used Trey's Textures to Create...this is Tanah Lot in Bali...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AH HA! Fiiiinally! I have to think about it, cuz that IS a chunk of dough

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Scotty: Never saw that view of that neat place.