Sunday, April 29, 2007

Strings Tournament



We (the JIS Golf Association) has not had a strings tournament in a long time. I think the last one was more than five years ago. It was brought back today. For the first nine holes, each player is given a length of string. The length depends on your handicap. You can use the string to extend your shot. So if you hit into a bunker, you can use the string to pull the ball out of the trap. You can use the string to extend your putt into the hole....so if you get on the green on a par three, you can extend your shot to the hole giving you a hole in one. It is a blast. I ended up shooting 3 under par, but the winner was 6 under.

The second nine, you can only start with nine clubs. After each hole, you have to take one club out of your bag....so, on the last hole, you only have one club left to play. I saved my 7-wood for the final hole...so putting was a bit tricky.

Anyway, it was really fun. I won a bottle of wine for getting closest to the pin on the first par three. I won it by using my string to move my ball onto the green (my t-shot was left on the fringe). Nobody had hit the green yet, so I thought, why not? Nobody said it was against the rules, so I did it...later, guys were saying that they wished they had thought of that.....aha haaaaa.

No comments: